Monday 3 October 2011

“In the Field”


What’s this volunteer gig of mine all about?  I spend most of each week day involved in the life of ACCES  Kenya which I find intense and engrossing.  During the first two weeks,  I visited all 7 of the ACCES “non formal” schools, met one on one with ACCES central staff to learn about their portfolios,  attended a Board meeting and participated in a staff inservice on public speaking.   Those of you who know me know I am a serious person who takes all this kind of stuff seriously.  I love it.

Here, the 7 days I was visiting the schools are called being “in the field.”  Every trip has been an adventure and new experience.  I didn’t know what to expect nor what I would find.  In my imagination, I pictured the ACCES non formal schools as “bush” schools, isolated in the middle of almost nowhere teaching multi-age, very poor Kenyans basic numeracy and literacy.  Well, perhaps 11 years ago it was like that, but evolution has taken place.  The schools are all quite sophisticated, with organized timetables, mostly credentialed teaching staff, and students who are now following the syllabus of the public schools.  In fact, the Level 8 students have been writing a mock exam to help prepare for the "KCPE" exams that decide their secondary school fate.    Some of the schools are mud huts; others are concrete buildings.

Perhaps it’s best to call these “alternate” versus “nonformal” schools now.   I found it interesting that most of the ACCES schools are sited close to public schools.   They were all start up schools, funded in full by the Canadian International Development Agency – Canadian tax dollars at work -  via a grant through ACCES, for students too poor or other wise unable to attend the public schools.  Most of the ACCES school students are unable to pay the plethora of fees charged by the public schools for uniforms, books, admission, tests, and desks even.

Keep it in mind that the population of Kenya has quadrupled since the 1960’s, and to my knowledge there are no income or other taxes outside of VAT to fund a public education system let alone provide other government services.   It is amazing what the public system is trying to do.  Primary education (Grades 1 to 8) has been made mandatory since 2005, and is “free” since 2002 except for all those fees.  Kenya is not in great financial shape right now, growth is incredibly difficult to deal with (I know this first hand from working in the fastest growing school district in BC), and another result is that classes in public schools are large, like 50 or 60 or more, in elementary school.

ACCES schools have a number of key features.  Students don’t need to wear uniforms, though some choose to.  ACCES schools are flexible in accommodating dropouts, over-age learners, and students absenteeism.   Class sizes are smaller; I would say the average is about 25.  There is a very small fee structure, and an expectation that parents/guardians contribute toward the “ugi” program.  Ugi is porridge fed to the students one cup once a day, and for some kids, it is their meal of the day.  In addition, basic health services are provided.

It’s been a way for students who otherwise might not attend school to attend.  The plan is to turn these schools over to the public system, and for ACCES Kenya to head into the hinterland to set up more start-up schools.  ACCES Kenya and Canada are also striving to make the current schools and their students self sustaining, very very hard when dependency has been part of Kenya’s recent history.  More on that in the future!

I have had an absorbing time.   Let me tell you about one of the students who caught my attention.  When I visited her Level/Grade 7 class, I asked what the students wanted to do in the future.  Her hand shot up.  She wants to be a medical doctor.  A few minutes later she added that she wants to travel to America.  She was bright and articulate.  I was later told she is 15 and has repeated levels. Erratic attendance?    I hope she makes it.  

I also met two children suffering from malnutrition and a little boy with AIDS, both of whom have been referred to public health by our community health worker.  She is monitoring them closely.   The photo is of the boy with AIDS.

And I have spent lots of time talking to the teachers.  Their issues and stories will follow in a future blog.

I am already looking forward to my second visit to the schools after my husband is “on the ground” in Kenya this week and will join me “in the field.” 




 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine
    I am following your every word with interest and curiosity. Take care of the burn on your leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Elaine,

    This is a wonderful story. Thank you so much for posting it.

    I'm curious to know; if it is mandatory for kids to attend school between grade 1 and 8, what are the repercussions if they do not or are unable to attend?

    Also are the ACCES schools recognized by the public school system?

    ReplyDelete